The Magic Bean chocolate cake recipe from the recipe community (link above) is probably one of the community’s most popular recipes, it has 408 positive ratings with everyone raving about how moist and how chocolatey it is, and it’s made from a tin of kidney beans!
Well our verdict is….. it is quite incredible, just like everyone says you can’t taste the beans ( I used a tin of 4 bean mix ) and either can the kids. Haven’t told them as it might influence their opinion. And the batter was very moreish, normally licking the bowl is reserved for the kids but today I couldn’t stop myself. It’s very good, moist, chocolatey and delicious and loving the fact it’s made from a tin of beans, adding some good protein to this treat. I’m reprinting the recipe below because one member shared a simpler method in the comments section below which I followed to make these cupcakes. Only takes a minute to whip this cake up in the thermomix so heat the oven first. Here it is :-
Magic Bean Chocolate Cake
- 420 g can kidney beans or butter beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tablespoon water or coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or more to taste
- 70 g raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon GF baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 125 g Butter
- 5 eggs
- 140 g rapadura or coconut sugar
- In the Tm bowl, puree the beans, water/coffee, sugar, butter and vanilla until smooth. (speed 4)
- Add the eggs & beat for 20 seconds, speed 4.
- Add the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt ( didn’t add salt) and blend 10 seconds, speed 4. Use the spatula to scrape down and ensure thorough mixing.
- Pour batter into greased ring tin pan or lined cake tin and bake Moderate oven, 160*C, for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or it springs back when touched in center. Muffins bake 180C for 20 minutes.