The kids love Caesar salad so Chelsea Winter’s Caesar salad was a must try. The dressing differs slightly from Pete Evans family food recipe in that her recipe has a tsp of sugar and basil added. We didn’t have basil tonight but added some italian parsley and extra lemon juice. And instead of 2 eggs yolks in his recipe, hers uses one egg yolk and one whole egg so less whites to use up later. Poached the remaining egg white to add to the salad, then no leftover egg white. The dressing is enough for two huge salads, perfect for our dinner and lunches tomorrow.
Caesar salad dressing adapted for tmx
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 1 whole free-range egg
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 200ml canola or rice bran oil
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (or 1 x 25g-40g packet)
- Add garlic to TM bowl, blitz 3sec speed 7.
- Add eggs, lemon juice and sugar, blend 1 min, speed 4 until pale.
- With blades spinning at speed 4, add oil in a thin slow stream to top of lid. The oil will slowly slip into the dressing through the gaps under the measuring cup and should emulsify.
- Add rest of ingredients and process until smooth ( few seconds at speed 5-6)
- Salt and pepper to taste, add more lemon juice to thin or to taste.
NB:- some handy tips from the above recipe ( recipe community) for chicken Caesar salad, oven baking bacon and croutons together saves time and washing up and steamed honey marinated chicken in Varoma would be another healthy option. We used a supermarket roast chicken this time. And this was a great dish for getting the kids in the kitchen to help washing, cutting, and preparing all the ingredients. Alternatively to reduce oil content, a lighter dressing to use is her yoghurt dressing which was published on her blog as part of the Lebanese style meatballs recipe or the yoghurt based dressing in the recipe community link above.
1/2 cup unsweetened yoghurt (plain or Greek)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup finely chopped mint/parsley/coriander – one or all